Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Monday, February 6, 2012

Deanna's Mission Testimony


I have been wanting to go to Africa for a while now but was never sure that it was what I was suppose to be doing until a friend of mine went to Uganda. I supported her by doing a MK show and raised funds for her trip.  Back in August, Derek and I went to a “show and tell” for this friend mission trip once they returned.  Derek never really likes to go to these types of functions so when he said yes to going, that really spoke to me. 

Derek may speak of this too, but as we were listening to the presentations of those who went on the trip, a feeling came to both of us.  We both began to cry but neither one of knew what the other was thinking until we were on the way home.  Derek and I both felt this unusual sense at the same time that we should be in Africa making difference.  It only makes since that God was working on us and showing us what were suppose to be doing.  We discussed what this might mean and decided to call Greg.  I began getting more signs from God telling me that this is really what he wants us to do.  I have never felt this way before…I felt that God was actually talking to me and telling us that we were suppose to be in Africa helping children.  Derek told me after a week of praying that he had gotten more signs in the last week and he came to the same conclusion that this is what we are called to be doing at this time

After some research on Africa and Ethiopia I have really come to know that this is were I want to be doing mission work because It’s not okay with me that there is a child dying every hour in Africa from hunger, It’s not okay with me that there are over 147 million kids in Africa that are orphaned because their parents died of aids, It’s not okay with me that these kids have no homes to stay warm in or food to eat.  It’s not okay with me that these orphans think others don’t know they exist.  It’s not okay with me that the mothers in Africa feel they have to sell their body’s to make money then in turn die and leave their kids to fend for themselves.

Even though we will only be in Ethiopia for 10 days….we WILL make a HUGE difference in these kids lives….they will know that people care about them, most importantly we will show them that God cares about them too.  These kids will understand they do have a chance.  Not only will they be affected by our visit, and those to come, but we will be forever changed in many different ways. 

We are teaming up with a group from chapel hill and others from across the US to share God’s love and we are so excited….while we are there we will be putting on a VBS type program with 85 kids in the morning and another 85 kids in the afternoon.  Our program is based on the Easter story and has many activities planed.  There will be different stations like arts and crafts, sports activities, the message for the day and time to open care packages and get to know these kids. 

Thank You for all of your support, prayers and time for us to share this adventure with you. 

1 comment:

  1. You guys did a great job Sundayl Even though you made me cry! :)

    ReplyDelete