Daisypath Vacation tickers

Daisypath Vacation tickers

Saturday, October 20, 2012

A night with the Girl Scouts!!

Derek and I visited a girl scout troop that was working on their First Aid Badge.
As part of their First Aid Badge and a way for them to help the kids in Kombolcha they made 
first aid kits for the care point.  Derek and I shared our video of the mission trip to Kombolcha and the care point.  We were able to ask them questions about their living situations compared to the kids living situations in Kombolcha.  It was amazing how these girls wanted to find ways to relate to the kids, their same age, from a third world country.  They were very intrigued
 about how the kids in Ethiopia live.  

This is so cute...all the girls surrounding Derek while watching our video

Each girl scout collected items for their first aid kits by 
asking teachers, friends, and neighbors for donations.
They were all so proud of what all had been donated. 

As they packed their kits I explained what each item is used for and how it would 
benefit the care point since their medical resources are limited.
The kits included items such as: band aids, gauze, medical tape, bandage scissors, ace bandages, 
antibiotic ointment, hydro-cortisone cream, and squeezable ice packs.     

The girls then decorated their boxes.  It was touching how the girls wanted the kids
in Kombolcha to know that people in another country care for them.  
They especially wanted the kids of the 
care point to know that God loves them.  

I was hit with some questions from one of the girls that I didn't exactly know how to answer: Do the kids in Ethiopia believe in God and how do they know about God?  
Are they Christians or in another religion?

This is the first time anyone has asked these questions about the kids we work with in Kombolcha....I was amazed at the knowledge and faith of this young lady that felt comfortable enough to ask me these questions.  To be honest, I was speechless at first because I wanted to be honest and explain my answers but I didn't want to over step my boundaries.  It's like God just gave me the words to say and she understood exactly what I meant: We go to Ethiopia to show them that God loves them no matter what and to give them Hope that their situations will improve...just like here in America it takes time for some people to realize that but a majority of the kids of Kombolcha know and believe that God is their Savoir.   

I love that even kids have the passion to help others in need!
   


After the completion of the First Aid kits we got group pictures made....the girls will write the care point letters and we will put a picture of them in each box.  I can't wait to share the stories and pictures of Derek and I presenting the First Aid Kits to the leaders of the care point. 







No comments:

Post a Comment